WSEC Residential Support

Residential buildings include detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses), as well as Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 buildings three stories or less above grade. These buildings are governed by the residential energy code provisions (RE Chapters).

Residential occupancy buildings that do not fall within the defintion above are governed by the commercial energy code provisions (CE Chapters). This includes Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 buildings greater than three stories, and all Group R-1 (hotel/motel).

For residential energy code inquiries, contact the technical support team at Washington State University Energy Extension.