Education and Resources
We offer training and technical resources in support of the commercial provisions of the WSEC.
Scroll down to the TECHNICAL RESOURCES section for new helpful information about the 2021 WSEC Commercial provisions.
2021 WSEC Commercial Provisions Trainings
Effective date of the 2021 WSEC has been delayed until March 15th, 2024. Refer to our Newsroom page for more information.
2024 WABO ANNUAL EDUCATION INSTITUTE
Monday, March 25th, 2024 – What is this thing? Identifying Common Mechanical System Components In Commercial Buildings
- How to identify mechanical systems and components that are commonly used in commercial buildings for heating, cooling and ventilation, and the 2021 WSEC requirements that apply to them.
Thursday, March 23rd, 2024 – Multifamily Mash-up - WSEC Commercial & Residential Comparison
- Commercial and residential energy code experts will provide a summary of requirements that apply specifically to multifamily buildings.
CLICK HERE to go to the WABO website to register!
2024 WEBINAR SERIES - 2021 WSEC-C
Training content will cover the most substantive changes between the 2018 WSEC-C and 2021 WSEC-C. We’ll focus on the provisions that have been determined to offer the highest potential for energy savings. Funding for this webinar series is provided by the Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA).
STAY TUNED!!! Training schedule for 2024 will be posted soon.
October 25th, 2023 – 2021 WSEC-C, Solar Readiness & Renewable Energy Systems
- On-site renewable energy system requirements and exceptions
- Qualifying types of off-site renewable energy systems
- Documentation requirements for off-site renewable energy systems
- Solar readiness, designated solar zones and exceptions
- Solar zone structural integrity and photovoltaic interconnection requirements
- Additional efficiency measures for on-site & off-site renewable energy systems
August 31st, 2023 – 2021 WSEC-C Envelope & Air Barrier Provisions
- Opaque assembly thermal performance updates
- Requirements for decks, balconies & mass transfer deck slabs
- Fenestration performance updates
- U-factor requirement for mech equipment thru-wall penetrations
- Building enclosure air leakage test procedures
- Updates to residential building definition
July 13th, 2023 - 2021 WSEC-C Mechanical Systems, Part 2
- Updates to economizer exceptions
- Changes to demand responsive controls provisions including ventilation (DCV)
- Scope update to HVAC door switch interlock controls requirement
- Changes to heated & chilled water distribution system design criteria
- Summary of mechanical additional energy efficiency & load management measures
June 20th, 2023 - 2021 WSEC-C Mechanical Systems - Part 1
- Expanded scope for the TSPR requirement and updates to exceptions
- Updates to the equipment minimum efficiency tables
- DOAS energy recovery efficiency, fan power and supply air tempering
- Balanced ventilation and heat recovery requirements for Group R-2 occupancy
- Changes to the fan power allowance criteria
Missed these webinars? Go to the On Demand Training page to view all of our training videos about the 2021 WSEC-C.
UP-COMING TRAINING TOPICS
- Lighting Power & Lighting Controls Systems
- Additional Energy Efficiency & NEW Load Management Measures
2023 AIA NWW: WSEC-C CHANGES & RESOURCES
This webinar for architects provided information about key requirements in the 2021 WSEC-C and helpful resources available to assist architects with energy code compliance documentation. This event was hosted by AIA NWW and AIA Seattle who are providing CEUs. If you attended this training, contact AIA NWW for question about receiving CEUs email@example.com.
NOTE TO PARTICIPANTS - This slide presentation is available on the On Demand Training page. Content on topics that are anticipated to be impacted by recent SBCC activities has been removed.
2023 WABO ANNUAL EDUCATION INSTITUTE
- Wednesday, March 22nd – Name that HVAC System!
- Thursday, March 23rd – 2021 WSEC Commercial – Key Changes and Tools to Navigate Them
Many thanks to everyone who attended our WABO trainings!
This fact sheet provides a general overview of the purpose of this mechanical requirement and how this performance ratio is calculated. Also refer to training videos about the TSPR webtool on the On Demand Training webpage.
Commissioning Fact Sheet (PDF 2.6 MB)
Commissioning significantly increases the likelihood that technical details such as system configurations and flow rates, occupancy and temperature settings, and record drawings are correct and complete. Getting these technical details right can have a significant impact on the long-term performance of the building systems. Commissioning requirements in the WSEC elevate the priority for this important step in the construction process. This fact explains the basics of commissioning and when it is required per the WSEC.
Service water heating circulation systems are used in commercial buildings to maintain the design supply temperature in the primary piping loop. The WSEC requires this system to have a circulation pump with controls that manage the water temperature in the circulation system and turns off the pump when there is no demand for hot water. This strategy saves energy and reduces water use by minimizing the time required for hot water to reach a fixture.
Smart circulation pumps offer a better than code strategy that simplifies installation and operation with integrated sensors, programmable control logic and ECM motors. This fact sheet provides information about this strategy and links to helpful resources.
This resource summarizes the building envelope thermal performance requirements in Section C402 of the 2021 WSEC-C. It includes prescriptive opaque assembly R-values and U-factors and fenestration U-factors and solar heat gain coefficients (SHGC). It also includes envelope requirements for walk-in and warehouse coolers and freezers per Section C410, and greenhouse envelope assemblies per Section C402.1.1.3. Refer to Page 3 for a summary of applicable table footnotes.